Dear Parent or Guardian,
Lake County Schools will administer the PSAT 8/9 on October 14 to students in grade 8. The PSAT 8/9 is the first test in the SAT Suite of Assessments. Tightly aligned with SAT and PSAT/NMSQT, it establishes a baseline for college and career readiness. The PSAT 8/9 will support all students with early feedback on the skills and knowledge that matter most for college and career success. Educators will have an early opportunity to:
· Measure and follow student performance
· Ensure students are on target to achieve college and career readiness
· Pinpoint areas for development
Calculator Policy and Tips for PSAT 8/9
· Students are strongly encouraged to bring a calculator to the PSAT 8/9 on test day, whether or not they plan to use it.
· Take a calculator you are comfortable using. Don't buy a new one just for the test.
· Don't try to use the calculator on every question. No question requires one.
· Decide how to solve each problem before deciding whether to use a calculator.
· Practice sample questions with a calculator on hand.
· Four-Function Calculators (approved, but not recommended)
· Scientific Calculators
· Most Graphing Calculators
Calculators Not Permitted
· Pocket organizer
· Hand-held or laptop computer
· Electronic writing pad, tablet, or pen input device
· Calculator with a QWERTY (typewriter-like) keypad
· Calculator with paper tape
· Calculator that makes noises or "talks"
· Calculator with a power cord or that requires an outlet
For a complete list of approved calculators, please go to https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-8-9/taking-the-test/test-day-checklist/approved-calculators. If you have questions, please contact Spring Creek Charter School at (352) 669-3275
You may visit https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-8-9/test-design for additional information about the PSAT.